Water Damage Mold Risks and Removal

How toxic is the mould that causes water damage and what would you do to get rid of it? Mold removal is secure enough to handle yourself if you are dealing with mould arising from clean water, such as a broken drain. You’re best off leaving the cleaning to the experts whether the mould comes from flood water or other polluted water. If you want to do it yourself, this guide will help you make the judgement call, and give you some tips for mould removal. For more details click Plumbing Chattanooga-Roto Rooter Plumbing and Drain.

What is Mold Water Damage?

A greenish-black infestation more generally known as “toxic mould” is water damage mould. Stachybotrys chartarum, also known as Stachybortrys atra, is the technical term for it but black mould is the most precise term common for it.

Symptoms of The Black Mold

While Stachybotrys chatarum is less common among moulds than other domestic moulds, such as Aspergillus or Clodosporium, its health risks are not special. For people with allergies, as well as those with immune deficiencies and preexisting respiratory conditions, black mould is a risk, but this is true of other household moulds. In sensitive individuals, black mould will irritate the eyes and skin and cause congestion and wheezing, so if any rooms need to be dried out with fans, be sure to run an air purifier at the same time and a low temperature dehumidifier. To verify that the humidity stays below 40 percent in the affected areas, use a humidity metre .

One of the primary reasons why black mould is often known to be more harmful than other household moulds is because contractors for water damage remediation often ask that families leave the house after a flood. This is due not to the mould, but to the water. Technically, flood water is known as black water, which means that it is considered polluted, like sewage. Water damage cleanup and mould remediation should be conducted by certified contractors following a storm.

Removal and Cleanup of Black Mold

It is time to remove the visible mould from the walls, ceilings and floors, using a solution of either bleach and water, or borax and hydrogen peroxide, after you have removed any standing water with a wet/dry vacuum or floor sucker pump and then dried and dehumidified them. See this Water Damage Mold article for the exact mixtures.